Top 10 Lessons on Character (Based on Dr. Myles Munroe’s Message)
1. True leaders never seek followers.
2. Followers are attracted to your gifts. (Not necessarily to you. So beware. Protect yourself while serving.)
3. You were born to dominate in your area of gifting and talent.
4. God gave you a gift but your character will protect your gift.
5. You should be more interested in developing character. Character will sustain your destiny.
6. Character is the ability and process of being the same, in and out of season.
7. A person of character has nothing to hide.
8. A person of character has consistent action, thoughts and deeds.
9. A person of character has no private life. Needs no image consultant. Is one and the same, yesterday, today and forever. Just like God.
10. Character is the only true and unshakable foundation for Power and Leadership.
3 Things That Will Test And Manifest Your True Character
1. POWER: When you give a person power, their true character shows up.
People say power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. This isn’t true. Power simply reveals the corrupt side of you that had being hidden.
2. MONEY: Money exposes people’s real character.
The lack of it or the abundance of money reveals your true character. (Especially the abundance in my own opinion. UMO)
3. SEX: Access to sex outside the appropriate context will reveal who you truly are. Will you restrain yourself or go crazy? Especially when you have access to it (in secret????). Mercy!
These 3 things have been the cause of man’s (woman’s too) downfall in history. Check yourself. Prepare yourself. Develop character that can withstand these areas ahead of the temptation.
5 Points on Temptation
1. The only way to test character is by temptation.
2. Temptation is not a negative thing.
3. To tempt means to temper, to test for weakness.
4. Temptation will forever be present in your life to monitor your character.
5. Your character is only as strong as the temptation you fall for.
On a final note: God made us in His image and likeness before He gave us dominion and power. Most of us however ignore or forget the “image and likeness” part, which is what gives us the true and stable character of God. We want power and dominion without character. But let’s remember that power without discipline and character will bring about corruption and disgrace ultimately. That’s why we see a lot of leaders in church, at work and in government constantly falling from grace; because most times, we have failed to create a congruence between our publicised beliefs, philosophies or principles and our private actions.
The Way I See It (In My Own Words)
The race is not to the swift but to those who endure, who are ready and able to commit to building long term character and durability. Who like God can remain the same, yesterday, today and forever, i.e. in season and out of season? People who can be relied on, who can be trusted, who are stable, whose action and words line up and are congruent come sunshine or rain- these people are in short supply all over our nation, both in corporate Nigeria, or in the governments, in small businesses or in our schools and homes. These are the people that are needed everywhere. We are those people and the time to rise up with character is NOW. What better time than Easter. The time of resurrection. Irrespective of how many times we have all fallen, myself included, Easter gives us all fresh hope. A brand new promise of abundant opportunities – the biggest one being “To renew our commitment to becoming the image and likeness of our God.”
Happy Easter folks.
Remain Ignited. Remain in Character. Don’t become a Character!
The Cunningham. April 19, 2014. 12:13PM
This message was inspired 100% by Dr. Myles Munroe’s YouTube message which I listened to this morning while doing my routine house work and mummy duty. It so cut to my core that I decided to make notes of the key lessons I gleaned from it. All credit goes to Dr. Munroe, an exemplary teacher whose words are clearly congruent with his actions and who never fails to cause a shift in the thinking of all who are hungry for truth.
I encourage you to read his book on character…I’m going to buy a copy myself right away. I sense it is required for this next season and level.